McMurry University’s Bynum Band Hall re-dedicated Oct. 25

McMurry University’s Bynum Band Hall re-dedicated Oct. 25

ABILENE, Texas – The Bynum Band Hall, which has undergone a $2.3 million renovation during the past 18 months, was rededicated at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 25, as part of McMurry University Homecoming 2008.{{more}} The Band Hall was named for legendary band director Dr. Raymond T. “Prof” Bynum. In 1926 Dr. Bynum organized the Abilene High School band and continued as director until 1946, winning numerous honors and awards. While at Abilene High he pioneered the first high school marching band and half time performances in Texas. Dr. Bynum was active in the development of the Texas Music Educators Association , and was instrumental in passing legislation to award academic credit to band students.The re-dedication marks the culmination of a 5-year dream of both the current McMurry Band and the loyal McMurry Band Alumni and Friends with the ribbon-cutting and re-dedication of the renovated and expanded Bynum Band Hall. The facility will be state of the art in every respect, but still be very recognizable to the gathering of McMurry Band Exes who will be here during Homecoming to celebrate this milestone. The original building, planned by Dr. Raymond T. “Prof” Bynum in 1959, was so ahead of its time that both the basic structure and layout have been retained. The new Bynum Band Hall will take the McMurry Band well into the 21st Century with the addition of soundproof practice facilities, a new dedicated percussion area, and a beautiful acoustically designed glass-enclosed main rehearsal hall. The Band Hall will be a key part in continuing the current McMurry Band’s success under the direction of Dr. Chris Neal.